Mary Thomas, Attorney-CPA
Mary Thomas, Vice President of Business Development-- Corporate Secretary, is a certified public accountant and attorney whose experiences in both the accounting and legal fields bring added value to clients. Prior to joining Barbara J. Thomas, CPA in 1999, Mary worked as a compliance auditor at an internationally known health institution and as an auditor at a Big Four accounting firm. She researched external and internal reporting requirements, audited existing systems, and presented feasible solutions to bring the client systems into compliance with internal and external guidelines. Mary also gained diversified legal experience while working with law firms in Austin and Houston. She has volunteered her legal services at the First Court of Appeals in Houston, TX.
Mary holds a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Texas at Austin. She graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree with a concentration in accounting from the University of HoustonUniversity Park. Mary became licensed as a Certified Public Accountant and an attorney in 1997.
- Member of the Association of Attorneys- Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, former member of the State Taxation Committee
- Member of the Houston Bar Association
- Former Rotarian and
- Former member of the American Bar Association.
- Identified a state tax assessment reduction of over $175,000 for a construction concern
- Secured a 47% deduction in an audit deficiency assessment for a construction concern
- Participated in the administrative hearings process to secure 100% of a refund request for a client in the hospitality industry while ensuring that the client takes advantage of the exemption prospectively
- Participated in the administrative hearings process on behalf of a manufacturer to minimize state tax due
- Minimized the liability associated with non-compliance with unclaimed property law for a regional manufacturer
- Compiled unclaimed property reports for various jurisdictions that covered a span of over 15 years
- Co-authored all books offered by Thomas, Thomas & Thomas, PC including "Texas Taxes for the Construction Industry"© and "Texas Taxes for the Hospitality Industry"©
- Wrote an article published in Texas Tax Lawyer (May 2003) entitled, "The Impact of Texas Sales and Use Tax on Business Operations: What Every Business Transactional Attorney Should Know
- Speaks at various professional organizations about unclaimed property and sales tax issues, including the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants-- Houston Chapter, Association of Attorneys- Certified Public Accountants- Houston Chapter, Lorman Education Service